The Riding Holiday Show on 12 December 2015 is all about “Meeting the Guides” – in fact that’s what we called the event when we first ran the event in 2007. It’s a chance to learn about wonderful riding holidays all over the world, directly from the people who will be guiding you day by day. As well as an opportunity to renew friendships and chat about past experiences.
We thought it would be interesting to run a series of profiles of some of the people who will be at the Riding Holiday Show and here is another legendary guide, Shane Dowinton from Horizon in South Africa.
1. How long have you been guiding at Horizon?
Since 1993 – 22 years.
2. Where did you guide before this?
I was a guide at Daintree National Park, Far North Queensland, Australia.
3. How did you get into guiding? Was there someone who inspired you?
I hung around and helped out at a riding start-up in Cape Tribulation, Australia. I got hooked on seeing the beauty of the rainforest from the back of a horse and the qualities of bush horses.
I’ve never had a Plan B. Ever!
5. People coming on a riding holiday often think you have the ideal job – what do you love about it? And what are the downsides?
I love meeting new people and hearing their life stories. The downsides? My chaps are starting to get a bit worn.
6. If your favourite horse was a human, who would he/she be and why?
Jinksy is my primary guide horse and she would resemble Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider for boldness and general sassiness, but with a hint of Cameron Diaz for occasional spookiness and dizziness!
7. What can you not live without (when guiding or just generally)?
8. What has been your most memorable riding holiday week?
We have guests that have returned to Horizon annually for more than 15 years and being caught up in one aspect of their life story and having an impact on it has been thoroughly rewarding.
Reading, playing guitar, cooking for my family.
10. What advice would you give a 21-year-old who wants to train for your job?
Be passionate about everything.
11. Where do you go on holiday?
Thank you Shane for the fantastic images and another insightful article.
You can meet Shane from Horizon at the Riding Holiday Show in London on 12 December 2015. Space at the venue is limited so you must obtain a ticket in advance. The event takes place at the Royal Overseas League in SW1 just off Piccadilly from 10 am to 6 pm.
38 different riding destinations will be represented at the Riding Holiday Show. All part of the In The Saddle portfolio of worldwide riding holidays.